This won a Nobel Prize in Medicine in 2016 and is predicted to be the most powerful approach to preventing cancer, Alzheimers, Parkinsons’s, Type 2 Diabetes and other age related diseases.
Yoshinori Ohsumi Discovers…
The 2016 Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded to Yoshinori Ohsumi for his discoveries of the mechanisms for “autophagy”. The word autophagyoriginates from the Greek words auto-, meaning “self”, and phagein, meaning “to eat”. Thus, autophagy denotes “self eating”!
Mutations in autophagy genes can cause disease, and the autophagic process is involved in several conditions including cancer and neurological disease. After an infection, autophagy can eliminate invading bacteria and viruses, like a garbage man of the cell. Autophagy contributes to cell differentiation and is like a “quality control” officer that is responsible for counteracting the negative effects of aging.
Disrupted autophagy has been linked to Parkinsons’s disease, Alzheimers, type 2 diabetes and other disorders that appear as we age. Disturbances in the autophagic machinery have also been linked to cancer. So, to be younger next year and prevent disease, we want these autophagic workers on the job!
6 Tips to Increase Autophagy
1. Eat a high antioxidant diet – antioxidants come from your colorful fruits and vegetables. The American Cancer Society say’s we should eat 5-7 servings per day. That’s a challenge for even the most health conscious so using a supplement is a good idea, especially Resveratrol.
2. Include Green Tea in your daily diet – green tea has a large amount of a “catechin” called EGCG from the Flavonoid family and helps prevent cellular damage. Some other foods high in catechin’s are apples, blackberries, dark chocolate, cherries, pears, sweet and purple potatoes.
3. Eat Cruciferous Vegetables – these are such powerful foods you want to eat them at least 3-4 times a week. Broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale, garlic and onions.
4. Fasting, Intermittent Fasting and Ketogenic Diet – Autophagy was discovered with fasting and caloric restriction of animals. We now know that during a fasted state or very low carbohydrate state (Ketogenic diet), these garbage men can go to work cleaning up cellular debris. Include fasting or intermittent fasting in your weekly routine.
5. Supplements to support Autophagy – Resveratrol, Reishi Mushrooms, Ginseng, B vitamins, Omega 3 fats, Vitamin D, Curcumin and Ginger.
6. Aerobic Exercise – Aerobic exercise has been shown to increase autophagy especially in the muscle cells and brain cells.
Autophagy is a game changer…
The discovery of Autophagy is a game changer!! If you truly want to be younger next year you will want to incorporate some of these tips into your weekly eating and lifestyle plan. This truly is a breakthrough in understanding how we can slow down cellular damage, remove toxins and debris from the cells and recycle to rebuild Mitochondria, the engine of your cells (and life itself!).
Let’s all be Younger Next Year!
P.S. Are you curious about the Ketogenic Diet? Do you have weight that you would like to release from your body but your sick of diets? Join me in January on a 21 day journey exploring whether this powerful Ketogenic diet is right for you. By the time you reach the end of your 21 day’s, you will know what lifestyle eating plan is going to help you release the weight, lower inflammation, increase energy and slow down aging! Learn more here……..21 Day is the Keto Diet for Me Kit
Of Course I Want to be Younger Next Year
Stay up to date with the latest science and healthy tips to help you be younger next year!