I met with a client recently diagnosed with cancer last week, and I was telling him my husbands story about being diagnosed with cancer in 1984. The look on his face when it dawned on him that there where no computers or internet in 1984 to research his cancer was priceless! Yep, that was a LONG time ago and almost seems like the dark ages for those in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s, LOL!
We were fortunate enough to connect with a Clinical Nutritionist to help Ed recover from cancer with nutritional support. When I went back to school to become a Certified Nutritionist I actually went to night school, studied from books and research papers and took tests on paper!!! I was definitely considered a “health nut” back in the 80’s. The access we have now through the internet is amazing, but you know what? I still love to hold a book in my hands with a highlighter and study that way. 🙂
Nutrition and the Cancer Connection
I’m diving deep into some powerful information on nutrition and cancer. We did not have this information when we were helping Ed recover from cancer. What I find interesting is we were doing so much of what is recommended we just didn’t understand the power of it like we do now.
Here is a “snipet” of some of the things I’m learning as well as give you a window into the magic and power of nutrition.
- Down regulates cancer at the genetic level.
- Improves cell differentiation. Billions of times a day our cells divide and proliferate. Without Vitamin A, this fragile process can easily turn into cancer cells.
- Cell to cell communication. Cells have a “telegraph” system of ions floating in and out of the cell membrane. Without Vitamin A the “telegraph” system becomes distorted and cancer can arise.
- Immune stimulant. Vitamin A deficiency brings changes in the lymphocyte populations and T and B cell functions (your immune cells).
- Anti-cancer activity. Bladder cancer recurrence was 180% higher in patients who had the lowest Vitamin A! High doses of Vitamin A (200,000 iu/weekly) were able to reduce damaged and potentially cancerous mouth cells by 96%!!
Have you heard that you can get toxic on Vitamin A? Cancer clinics in Europe often administer up to 2.5 MILLION iu daily, of emulsified Vitamin A for months with no toxicity (medically supervised).
- Made up of 4 Tocopherols and 4 Tocotrienols. Most supplements only contain Alpha-tocopherol.
- Immune regulator. Works by bolstering the activity of the thymus and spleen organs to stimulate lymphocyte proliferation (immune cells).
- Protection for toxins. We are exposed to toxins on a daily basis and Vitamin E can protect us by “sacrificing” itself to neutralize the toxin.
- Slows and reverses cancer. In human studies low Vitamin E increases risk of cancer in various body sites. Patients with head and neck cancers have higher incidence of recurrence when levels of Vitamin E, A and betacarotene are low. In human epidemiology studies, people with the highest intake of Vitamin E had a 40% reduction in the risk for colon cancer!
- Boosts traditional therapies. Vitamin E can make chemotherapy and radiation more selectively toxic in cancer cells while protecting the patient from host damage.
Vitamin E supplements have been endorsed by the National Cancer Institute, American Heart Association and the U.S. Department of Agriculture because to get the 400iu of E recommended you would have to eat 5 pounds of wheat germ, 8 cups of almonds or 28 peanuts!! The quality of Vitamin E and the complete family of E are crucial to receive the benefits I’ve mentioned.
- Helps to squelch cancer at the genetic level.
- Turns off the cancer “switch” – we have a switch on our cells called an “oncogene.” Vitamin D puts a protective plate over the switch to prevent cancer from starting or spreading.
- Lowers cancer risk- regions of the world with the least sun are notoriously higher in rates of tuberculosis; cancers of the breast, ovaries, colon and prostate. Human cancer cells have receptor sites, or “parking spaces” for Vitamin D which shut down the cancer process.
We make Vitamin D from sunlight on the skin converting cholesterol to Vitamin D. The RDA is 200-400iu daily but studies have demonstrated the cancer protective benefits start at a much higher dosage.
Wow, Wow, Wow!! That is just THREE vitamins that we explored and the power they have in protecting us from cancer. Many of these nutrients work synergistically with other nutrients to improve absorption. At the least, you want to have a good vitamin/mineral supplement daily to support your bodies immune system and cancer protective ability. Quality does matter when taking a nutritional supplement! We still use some of the supplements from the same company that Ed used over thirty-five years ago because I haven’t found the quality and purity any where else.
According to the American Cancer Society, men have a 39.66 percent probability, or approximately a one in three risk, of developing cancer in their lifetime. For women, the odds are slightly lower, at 37.65 percent as of Jan 31, 2018. It’s never too early to protect yourself from this dreaded disease.
Here’s to a life filled with vitality and cancer free!
P.S. If you want to know my recommendations for nutritional supplements email me at email@example.com 🙂
Of Course I Want to be Younger Next Year
Stay up to date with the latest tips and tricks to be younger next year