The Ketogenic Diet is the most Googled diet on the internet right now. There is much discussion, fact and fiction floating around about it so let’s set the record straight and answer your question…”is the Keto Diet right for me?”
- Fasting and other dietary regimens have been used to treat epilepsy since at least 500 BC. To mimic the metabolism of fasting, the ketogenic diet (KD) was introduced by modern physicians as a treatment for epilepsy in the 1920s. Current studies are being done using the ketogenic diet with Alzheimers, Parkinson’s Disease, ALS, MS, Cancer and nerve disorders such as neuropathy. The results have been very promising.
- The National Institute of Health study shows the beneficial effects of a long–term ketogenic diet to significantly reduce body weight and body mass index of the patients. It decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Sounds good so far right?
- Ketogenic diets also showed an increase in the concentrations of heart healthy HDL cholesterol more than low-fat, high-carb diets. Low-carb, high fat diets decrease LDL particle concentration (LDL-P) and increase the size of LDL cholesterol, the big fluffy guys that are the good LDL. Ketogenic diets decrease the amount of harmful VLDL cholesterol in the blood.
- Let’s look at Diabetes…..One study found that the ketogenic diet improved insulin sensitivity by a whopping 75%! Another study in patients with type 2 diabetes found that 7 of the 21 participants were able to stop all diabetes medications. In yet another study, the ketogenic group lost 24.4 lbs compared to 15.2 lbs in the higher-carb group. Additionally, 95.2% of the ketogenic group was also able to stop or reduce diabetes medication, compared to 62% in the higher-carb group. Sounding better all the time!
The Point is
Ok, you get the point, a Ketogenic diet can have huge health benefits for certain groups of people. But is it right for everyone? Before I answer that question let’s dispel some myths.
Fiction and Myths
- You must eat every couple hours – not true! When we look at our ancestral past, man often went long lengths of time without access to food. We are genetically wired to do the same thing!
- Fat is bad for you – myth! We were brainwashed in the 1980’s with the “low-fat” mantra that has now created a nation of Diabetics. Eating “healthy” fats nourishes your body at a very deep level, and so doing so, satisfies us for long periods of time.
- A Keto diet is all meat – Fiction! The true Keto diet is “moderate” protein and high in healthy fats. The proteins should be coming from “clean” meat sources for the healthiest program and best results.
- A Keto diet will be hard – Not true! Yes, the first 5-6 days of withdrawals from sugar may be challenging but after that you will find it very satisfying.
Back to the Question…
So back to the question “is this a good diet for everyone?” The answer to that question is “Maybe……”
Back to the beginning, this diet was developed to “mimic” fasting in the body which can be VERY beneficial for everyone. Being in “ketosis” means we have turned from a glucose depend machine to a fat adaptive machine. The body learns to pull glucose from the liver and muscle stores instead of sending you on a carb binge, it converts glucose from protein and it learns to use fat as a fuel source instead of glucose. That is healthy for all of us!
With all this being said, what I’m most concerned about with the current “Keto Craze” is HOW people are going about it. I’ve been a fly on the wall in a number of private Keto Facebook groups and watched as people ask each other questions about how they are feeling “is this normal”, sharing their blood sugar numbers, their thyroid and hormone panels etc. etc. Some of the responses make me cringe!
I’ve spent the last six months studying the Keto diet by listening to webinars, reading books, blogs, articles and scientific articles. I do believe it could be the answer for our Diabetic epidemic we are facing as well as the obesity epidemic, BUT…..it must be done correctly!
This is why I have created the 21 Day Keto Prep program. This will gradually move you into the introduction of the Ketogenic diet. By day 21 you will know if you want to go “all the way”. You will learn key principles that make the Keto diet effective and safe BEFORE you jump all the way in. In doing the 21 day program often you will get great results with weight loss, lowered inflammation, lowered blood sugars, more energy, better mental clarity and more! Many find they want to “cycle” in and out of Keto for periods of time. Whatever you decide know by the end of 21 days if the lower carb lifestyle is a fit for you!
I would love to help you navigate the KETO waters! Join me on a 21 Day Journey….. 21 Day Keto Prep
To your health,
Of Course I Want to be Younger Next Year
Stay up to date with the latest tips and tricks to be younger next year