It’s THAT time of year, you know, Thanksgiving, then comes the Christmas food parade of cookies, candy, nut breads and yes, FRUITCAKE! But guess what? I LOVE this time of year! I’m a cook and making holiday, warming, yummy foods is one of my favorite things. So what’s a girl to do when the calories skyrocket at this time of year? Live by the 80/20 Rule!!
If you follow me you know I’m the “80/20 Girl” and it not only keeps ME sane but my clients as well. If your new to this concept here is how it looks:
- Eat as clean as possible. This means as much Organic as your budget and availability will allow. This DOES make a huge difference! This video is one of the most powerful visuals of what happens when a family eats Organic for just TWO weeks! robynobrien.com/the-organic-effect-what-happens-when-you-switch-to-organic-food/
- Keep you pure water intake up! As the weather cools off we have a tendency to drink less water (especially in Texas!) Your body needs just as much if not MORE water during the winter. The heater will soon be on and the moisture in the air is much less. Along with that, we are exposed to more toxins in the air because the house is closed up, we are not outside as much and we are wearing heavier clothing. Reminder….use only BPA free water bottles and better yet, filter your own. If you want a great counter top unit this is my recommendation, rated the highest! www.aquatruwater.com/?src=affiliate&aid=21474
- Keep your carbohydrates to vegetables and fruits. Carbohydrates from grains will put weight on fast and the carb/fat/sugar combo (think cakes, cookies etc) is deadly for weight gain! Enjoy the sweet potatoes, winter squash, new potatoes and gluten-free grains like Quinoa, some of my favorite!
- Don’t forget those healthy fats like grass-fed butter, extra virgin olive oil, un-refined coconut oil, MCT oil and avocado oil. Use these generously on your fresh veggies, stir fries and if you haven’t tried it yet, Bullet Proof Coffee (great Latte’ substitute www.bulletproofcoffee.com)
- You can do this as a “meal” or multiple little splurges. Eat your 80% for 6 days and splurge on one meal. If your really not wanting to get to off track do 2-3 “little” splurges during the week.
- What have you been craving for more than two days? Go DO it!
- This is where you plan ahead. Do you have a holiday party coming up? Are you hosting a holiday cocktail party? Are you the one having everyone for Thanksgiving and you know there will be TON’S of food AND leftovers? Pick your poison (mine is Apple Pie!) and plan your 20% around that occasion.
Most important……..enjoy this season with your family and friends. There is NOTHING better than food and friends!
P.S. Stay tuned for the next “10 Day Metabolism Re-set” program to help you detox and lose those pounds that have creeped up on you this year 🙂