Tick, tock, tick, tock…..can you feel the stress?? The countdown has begun, the lists are being written and the stress is creeping up! Here are some tips to help you cope and yes, maybe even enjoy the Holidays!
5 Tips to Cope
- Thoughts are “things”. When you think about the holidays do you say things like, “I don’t know how I’m going to get all this done”, or “I hate to shop”, or “I don’t know how I’m going to handle another Christmas with these relatives”. Instead say “I’m thankful that I will have more than enough time to shop and it will be fun!” then wait with expectation that this will be true! Speak over your holiday plans with those who are challenging by saying “this year I’m going to look for the good in everyone I must be with”, then intentionally look for the good!
- Sit your family down and strategize to share the load. Who can cook a meal instead of you? Who can run to the grocery store, feed the dog, do some laundry? I find that kids especially, want to help, give everyone chores to lift the load!
- Keep the commitments to Christmas parties and holiday gatherings to no more than two per week. Choose your most favorite people to be around and spend time with them!
- Choose your poison well……in the form of food and beverages. Nothing will sap your energy more than eating lot’s of sugar and drinking too much alcohol. Keep those BPA free water bottles full of pure water and drink, drink, drink!
- Consider adding in some Magnesium to your supplement program. Most people are moderately if not significantly deficient in Magnesium. Buy a “chelated citrate” formula and start with 200mg at bedtime. It will relax your muscles, nervous system and cardiovascular system. You can gradually increase until your bowels get loose in the morning, this will be your maximum dosage.
I LOVE the holidays, decorating the house, baking and spending time with those I love. But, I’m not immune to the stress (feeling it creeping up already) and I have to closely watch my commitment level to extra activities AND my commitment level to my daily eating, drinking and exercise. Three more weeks….we CAN do this!!
P.S. When this craziness is done, let me help you get back on track with my “30 Day Detox to Weight-Loss” class starting January 9th! http://thenomadicnutritionist.com/detoxweightloss/